Oil & Gas | FAQs

  1. Injection well FAQs

    Click here to find answers to the most common questions about injection wells.

  2. Where and how do I find information online? (production, oil and gas data search, C-1, operator, Notices of Transfers Approved, Plugged Wells, Well Logs, etc.)
  3. What gas fields are still producing?

    Kansas oil and gas field production is available on Kansas Geological Survey’s website.

  4. What is the difference between Alternate I and Alternate II completion?

    During Alternate I cementing, surface pipe is set through all fresh and usable water zones. During Alternate II cementing, surface pipe is set through all unconsolidated material plus 20 feet into the underlying formation. A secondary cementing must be completed to bring cement to the surface from a point at least 50 feet below the base of the lowest known fresh and usable water. See K.A.R. 82-3-106 SURFACE CASING AND CEMENT and TABLE 1 MINIMUM SURFACE CASING REQUIREMENTS.

  5. Where are the district offices located? Which district office oversees oil and gas operations in my county?

    Click here to find the District Office serving your area.

  6. What are royalty owners’ rights?

    Information regarding royalty owner’s rights is located in 55-1622a on this Kansas Geological Survey webpage. Additional information on royalty owners’ rights is available from the Southwest Kansas Royalty Owners Association, Eastern Kansas Royalty Owners Association, and the National Association of Royalty Owners.

  7. Who can provide me with information on royalty payments?

    The KCC does not have jurisdiction over royalty payments. The operator and oil purchaser may have a copy of the royalty owner’s Division order.

  8. What is a reportable spill? What are proper techniques to cleanup a spill/discharge?

    The definition of a spill can be found in K.A.R. 82-3-101. Information regarding spill notification and cleanup can be found in K.A.R. 82-3-603 and K.A.R. 82-3-603a. Additional information regarding spill and discharge notification and cleanup can be found in this printable brochure. This information includes cleanup techniques (including saltwater techniques), physical removal, dilution, treatment, and bioremediation.

  9. Are landowners responsible for wells on their property?

    While landowners and surface owners are generally not responsible for wells on their property, it is a case-by-case basis. Some determination factors may include:
    • if the landowner or surface owner deliberately altered or tampered with the well (or related equipment),
    • if the landowner or surface owner removes surface equipment or downhole equipment from the well,
    • if the landowner or surface owner has operated or produced the well,
    • if the landowner or surface owner assumed responsibility by written contract

See K.S.A. 55-179 for more detailed information.

  1. How do I become an operator in the state of Kansas? How do I renew my license?

    Information to become an operator and license renewal information is located on the KOLAR website.

  2. How do I file forms online via KOLAR? Is there a contingency plan in the event KOLAR filing is unavailable?

    Click here for KOLAR instructions.

    In the event online filing is unavailable the KCC will implement the contingency plan.

  3. How is a well drilled?

    A well is drilled using a portable rotary drilling rig. Drill pipe is rotated with a drill bit on the bottom. The weight of the drill pipe on the drill bit crushes and pulverizes the rock, which is circulated to the surface with drilling mud. Surface pipe is set and cemented in place across any fresh water zones before drilling deeper except as provided for in the “Eastern Kansas Order.”

  4. Conversion of Oil or Gas Wells and Dry Holes to Water Wells FAQs

    The KCC and the KDHE prohibit conversion of oil or gas wells and dry holes to water wells. Click here for information on the policy.

  5. Hydraulic fracturing FAQs

    • What is hydraulic fracturing and how does it work?
      • It stimulates a well to increase oil and gas production. It is a temporary, well-completion method, which is different than long-term injection associated with a Class II well.
      • Each fracture job is engineered to be most effective to stay within the pay zone. Much of the same technical data used to determine where to perforate along the lateral, is used to determine the amounts and types of water, sand and chemical components to use in the fracture job.
    • What are the components of a hydraulic fracturing treatment?
      • Water and sand, along with additives, are mixed at the well-site then pumped down the well, under pressure, to fracture the producing rock matrix. Water and sand generally make up 98% of the volume of fracturing fluid.
    • How is hydraulic fracturing regulated?
      • The KCC regulates hydraulic fracturing through:
        • Surface pipe regulations
        • Production casing regulations
        • Well-cementing requirements
        • Intent-to-drill process
        • Well spacing requirements
        • Pit permitting process
        • Well completion reporting requirements
        • Permitting of the injection wells used for disposal of flowback water


I want to...

  1. Contact the KCC Conservation Division.

    Click here to find the District Office serving your area.

  2. Report an abandoned well.

    The Commission is actively looking for abandoned wells and appreciates your assistance. Click here to complete a report.

  3. Bid on an abandoned well / remediation project.

    Plugging contractors wishing to bid on plugging contracts associated with this program should contact the appropriate District Field Office and the Kansas Department of Administration, Division of Purchasing at (785) 296-0002.

  4. Research salvage opportunities.

    Click here to see current salvage opportunities.

  5. Obtain oil and gas well records in accordance with the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA).

    Oil and gas well records can be found in the Data Search section of the Oil & Gas web page.

    Additional information can be requested under the Kansas Open Records Act or KORA.

  6. Report a spill (including relevant requirements).

    K.A.R. 82-3-603 outlines spill notifications, clean-up and lease maintenance.

  7. File a complaint.

    If you have a complaint or concern regarding an oil and gas issue, please contact the District Office associated with the location.

  8. Research and located more detailed information pertaining to minimum surface casing depth requirements.

    This information may vary by county, click here to find requirements in each area. Please contact the district office associated with the location for more detailed information pertaining to fresh and usable water.