Utility & Weatherization Related Assistance Programs in Northwest Kansas

Utility Bill Assistance

  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federal program administered by the Kansas Department for Children and Families, which helps eligible Kansans pay a portion of their home's utility costs by providing a one-time per year benefit; benefit levels may vary. See their website (http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/EnergyAssistance.aspx) for additional information or call 1-800-432-0043.
  • United Way 2-1-1 helps Kansans locate utility assistance programs. Call "211" toll-free or visit

    https://211kansas.myresourcedirectory.com/index.php to see what assistance programs are available in your area.

  • The Salvation Army administers utility assistance programs throughout the state, including the following programs in Kansas:
    • HeatShare: operated by the Salvation Army Kansas & Western Missouri in Kansas counties served by Black Hills Energy, as well as Butler Rural Electric and the City of Altamont, which provides financial assistance, counseling, and referrals to other utility funding sources. Dial 211 to be directed to services in your area.
  • Midwest Energy has information about financial assistance on their website (https://www.mwenergy.com/residential/payments-billing/financial-assistance)
  • Catholic Charities of Northern Kansas offers emergency assistance (including utility assistance) in 31 counties in northern and northwest Kansas.
  • Harvest America Corporation provides limited assistance with utility bills for persons with income at or below 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines. There is an office in Goodland (785-728-4333) to serve residents in northwest Kansas. Office hours are available on the Harvest America Corporation website (https://kshousingcorp.org/partners/harvest-america-corporation/).

Weatherization Assistance

  • Kansas Weatherization Assistance Program is a federal program, administered by the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation, which provides weatherization services to income-eligible Kansas. These services may involve installation of air-sealing and thermal envelope measures, such as caulking around windows and doors, adding insulation to attics, walls, ceilings, foundations, and cleaning, testing, and repairs to refrigerators and heating and cooling equipment. Call 785-264-4814 or visit their website (https://kshousingcorp.org/renters/weatherization-assistance/).

Other Assistance Programs