Public Comments Frequently Asked Questions

How can I submit a public comment?

There are three ways to submit a public comment:

  1. Click the "Your Opinion Matters" link on the home page of the KCC website. You'll see a list of current matters open for public comment. Find the matter on which you wish to comment and select the "submit a public comment" link underneath the description.
  2. Send a written letter to the Kansas Corporation Commission, Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604-4027. Be sure to reference the docket number associated with the case which is listed on the Public Hearings and Comment Periods page
  3. Call the Commission's Public Affairs office at 1-800-662-0027 or (785) 271-3140.

Note: Utility rate and siting public comment periods have a specific end date prior to the evidentiary hearing. Be sure to submit your comment before the end of the comment period to ensure it is included in the official case record. Public comment periods for proposed rules and regulations generally end at the conclusion of the public hearing.

What information is required?

When deciding a utility rate or siting case, input from citizens affected by the decision is valued by the Commission. Therefore, commenters are asked for their name and city of residence as well as how long they have been a customer of the utility. Any additional information provided is optional. 

When submitting your comment, please be mindful that all information submitted will be accessible on the KCC website for public viewing. Note that any public comment submitted that contains obscene or threating language will not be included in the docket filing.

What happens when a comment is received?

Comments are compiled at the end of the comment period for a utility rate or siting case and added to the case docket posted on the KCC website.

For rules and regulation proposals, public comments are made part of the record, considered by the Commission while the proposal is pending and maintained for a minimum of three years after the date of adoption.