Transportation | FAQs

  1. Do I need a Commercial Driver’s License?

    Click here for a chart designed to help you determine whether you need a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). If you still have questions, please call our office at (785) 271-3145 or plan to attend one of our free seminars held throughout the state.

  2. Where can I get information on state and federal laws?

    Click here for Kansas information and click here for federal information.

  3. Where can I find a list of DOT certified Medical Examiners?

    Click here for FMCSA's National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners search feature.

  4. How much liability insurance does Kansas require? 

    Individuals or Corporations applying for Commission Operating Authority must meet the minimum liability insurance requirements per K.S.A. 66-1, 128. The Minimum Public Liability and Property Damage is:

    • $100,000, for personal injury or death to any one person in any one accident;
    • $300,000, for injury or death to two or more persons in any one accident;
    • $50,000, for loss to property of others in any one accident.

    The Liability Insurance Certificate or (Form E) is electronically submitted by your insurance underwriters (not your insurance agent) through the national online registry (NOR) to the Commission. Kansas regulations do not allow us to accept Accord forms.

  5. How do I obtain a US DOT number?

    US DOT numbers are assigned through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Click here to visit FMCSA’s website, where you can renew your US DOT number or obtain one for the first time. Or, you can call FMCSA at 1-800-832-5660.

  6.  Where is the nearest Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration office?

Contact information for FMCSA’s Kansas Division:

1303 SW First American Place
Suite 200
Topeka, KS 66604-4040
Phone: (785) 271-1260 Fax: (877) 547-0378

For a complete list of federal field offices, please visit FMCSA’s website.

I want to...

  1. File a complaint.

    Click here to file a Motor Carrier complaint.

  2. Attend a safety education seminar.

    Click here for a list of upcoming Safety Education seminars conducted throughout the state.

  3. Check a driver’s motor vehicle record.

    Kansas Motor Vehicle records can be searched by clicking here.

  4. Obtain guidelines for farm vehicle drivers.

    Click here to review regulations and exemptions concerning farm vehicles.