Natural Gas | FAQs

  1. Can my utility disconnect service during the winter?

    The KCC requires utilities under its jurisdiction to offer special payment plans from November 1 through March 31 to help ensure that families have heat and gas during the coldest months of the year. Learn more about the Cold Weather Rule.

  2. Where can I find help paying my bill?

    Check our state-wide resource guide for organizations in your area offering financial assistance to help you pay your utility bill or upgrade your home to be more energy efficient.

  3. Is there a fee for a utility locate through 811?

    Utility locates are provided at no charge. Learn more about 811.

  4. How long does it take to get an underground utility locate through 811?

    Please call 811 to request your locate at least two days prior to the time you plan to dig. Learn more about 811.

  5. How are easements and right of ways determined?

    The Pipeline Safety Trust has general pipeline information for landowners on its website:

    In addition, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) offers publications on recommended practices when developing or building near a transmission pipeline.

    Consulting an attorney is recommended when confronted with legal questions about right-of-ways or easements.

  6. Where are the gas pipelines in my area?

    Please visit the National Pipeline Mapping System’s official webpage to search for pipelines in your area.


I want to...

  1. Report a possible gas leak.

    Gas leaks can be very dangerous. If you suspect a gas leak, act quickly. Leave the area immediately and then call your utility or 911. Click here for more gas safety information.

  2. Contact my utility company.

    Click here to find information about the gas companies regulated by the KCC.

  3. File a complaint against my utility.

    If you have been unable to resolve an issue by contacting your utility, the Commission’s Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection is available to assist you. Click here to contact our office.

  4. Make a public comment on a rate case.

    There are three convenient ways to submit a public comment on a rate case:
    1. Go to the KCC website: to enter your comment. Click on “Your Opinion Matters” under Quick Links on the right hand side of the page, and scroll until you find the docket you wish to comment on.

    2. Send a written letter to the Kansas Corporation Commission, Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604 4027. Be sure to reference the docket number you are commenting on.

    3. Call the Commission’s Public Affairs office at 1-800-662-0027 or (785) 271-3140.

      Public Comments received during the comment period will be entered into the official case record and posted on the website at the end of the comment period.
  5. Request an underground utility locate.

    Simply dial 811 on your phone or visit the Kansas 811 website.

  6. Report damage to an underground utility.

    Click here for information regarding underground utility damage prevention and/or to report underground utility damage to the KCC. If you suspect the damage is a threat to public safety (such as a gas leak), a call to 911 is also recommended.

  7. Learn more about pipeline safety.

    The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) has numerous publications on pipeline safety available on its website.